2
AUG 2015
Friendship and Unity.
I’ve found, no matter where I’ve been on earth, what matters most is the people
around me, and whether they can tolerate my eccentricities and blunt, crass,
humor.
A free weekend. The first weekend with a car on Okinawa, and so much to
explore. And explore we did.
New friends led me to the terrors and wonder that accompany Japanese
arcades. Arcades? You mean the antiquated gathering places of
80s nerds (replaced today by children who can’t hold a conversation without holding a phone). This was no “arcade” as you and I
know it. This was the perverse, twisted,
hello kitty version of a casino for children… a strange world Dr. Seuss would
have difficulty imagining.
The coolest people in this arcade were accompanied by a put out (hot?) girlfriend,
dressed to the nines, awaiting them as they challenged what could only be
considered the most ridiculous video game I’ve seen. (Ladies, keep track of your undergarments while watching this video, they may fly off at this prodigious savant!)
High school age groups giggled (only hanging out in peer groups of the same
sex) after going into photobooths that turned their faces into doll-like monstrosities.
I had night terrors that
evening.
Fast forward to a scenic beach day the next morning, to purge my memory of the
garish arcade, with peers who were more than generous with ideas for fun and
knowledge of the island.
After enjoying what looked like scenes from The Beach (worth a watch, Leo Dicaprio’s finest work) we went to a magical sushi factory. I expected the Japanese version of oompa
loompas to be confined to the back of the building delivering sushi so
efficiently via conveyor belt and spaceship delivery system (seen here). After eating my fill (I was like a Sarlacc pit), I paid what amounted to two packs of Digimon cards for my stay. What a deal.
And finally, what Sunday on the island wouldn’t be complete without a trip to
Charaumi Aquarium. Photos don’t do it
justice, but checkout the album on my facebook page.
Until next time!
No comments:
Post a Comment